Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Truth and Lies

I have come to the conclusion recently that many of the problems in the world result from people's opinions and the fact that people seem to think that truth and fiction, good and evil, honesty and lies are a matter of opinion and/or preference. That is not true. We need to stop making excuses for everything and everyone. When someone does something that is evil whether or not they are crazy does not change the fact that what they did was evil. For example, Abortion kills an innocent life. Whether or not a person believes that or not does not change the fact that a murder was committed. The "whatever floats your boat" mentality does not make sense to me. I might say that about someone who has a different opinion than I do to some extent. For example if its a matter of style or musical preference, I have no problem with that because it's not hurting anyone. When someone's beliefs and/or opinions are actually hurting someone or preventing good progress, that is where there is a problem.
I don't know about the rest of you but I am sick of hearing about the results of the recent American Idol Competition. Many people are in outrage that Adam did not win. "Outrage" is the word I've been reading and hearing. Usually I do not comment on "news" postings but on this one I did. I wrote that I was sick of hearing about the outrage and that there is a real twisted sense of priorities in the world. Outrage! Aids and hunger are on the rise and people are in outrage about the results of singing competitions and sports games. The truth is no matter what a person's preference is, we should not be getting outraged about games and competitions when there are much worse things going on that deserve our outrage. Outrage is good when it results in positive, forward moving action. To improve the world outrage should never result in making matters worse.
Now back to the truth and lies. There is such a thing as truth. There are such things as lies. There is such a thing as good and there is such a thing as evil. People need to be more accountable for their actions and think about their beliefs before they go too far with them. If your beliefs and what you do about them are making the world a better place then there is probably a lot of truth behind them. If they are not, then you might want to re-consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment